English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Saturday, March 06, 2010

‘Shah Rukh is like a father figure to me’

Share This Post

Karan Johar, who was in the City, tells Metrolife that any movie made with sincerity goes well with the people

You can call him King Kool. For he is unfazed by all the hullabaloo that greeted his My Name is Khan. Even the mention of box office feats of My Name..., only evokes a grin from Karan Johar. Confident, suave and articulate Karan Johar was in the City recently on a private visit. He told Metrolife that he makes films on themes that are largely rooted in reality. “World realities excite me. While films mean a lot of entertainment, they must have an element of reality as well,” he says.

Is that why the bit in My Name is Khan where the hero was detained and checked inserted, much like what happened to lead actor Shah Rukh Khan (SRK) in real life? “Oh… that bit was inserted in the movie way before the incident happened. It was sheer coincidence,” he shrugs off.

Ask him what inspired him to make a film just for his mentor Shah Rukh Khan, Karan says, “Shah Rukh is like a father figure to me. He has seen me through good and bad times. He’s family to me,” he reasons. He feels that any movie made with utmost sincerity will go down well with the people. About Karan, SRK and Kajol working together, Karan says, “We’re most comfortable with each other. We know each other’s body language and respect our spaces. That’s what made us a team.”

On his most memorable movie thus far, he says, it’s Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

“It’s very close to my heart. It’s the first movie I directed and I thought there was a lot of innocence about it,” he says and adds, “Dostana too was real and brought forth an
important aspect of reality.

It was powerful in its content.” In Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, Karan says, he effectively dealt with extramarital affairs.

“It’s something that’s happening. It’s real and could happen to any one of us,” he reasons. As a film-maker he thinks that he doesn’t have to be provocative all the time. Entertainment is key. While Karan is proud that his TV show Koffee with Karan did exceedingly well, he hopes he’d excel with his newest show Lift Kara de .

“I hope to rope in the biggest names on the show. It’s for a noble cause and I don’t want to disappoint the umpteen fans,” he quips.

Karan says he’s taking his much needed break and will zero in on a theme, for his next film, once he returns.

About Bangalore, he observes , “I don’t come here very often. I slip in for a few hours and leave almost immediately. I have never had time to explore the City.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin