English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Saturday, February 06, 2010

SRK: Will talk to Thackeray if invited

Share This Post


After landing in Mumbai, with huge security at the airport to ensure his safety, Shah Rukh Khan said, "I am proud to be an Indian." He also said that he will talk to the Shiv Sena, if invited. When asked if he would meet Bal Thackeray, he said, "If Bal Thackeray will call me, I will meet him anytime. I enjoy his company."

Shah Rukh Khan said, "I am very proud to be an Indian. If I say anything it will be misconstrued and further turned around, let me not even use big words. I am pro relationship with countries, which was misconstrued. I am what I am because of Mumbai."

Referring to the Shiv Sena's war against him, Khan said, "Let's be patient and talk it out. If I say anything it will be misconstrued and further turned around, let me not even use big words. I am pro relationship with countries, which was misconstrued. I am what I am because of Mumbai."

The Sena has threatened to block the release of SRK's new film, My Name is Khan, because of Khan's comments on Pakistani cricketers.

On Saturday, Sena chief Bal Thackeray wrote in the party's mouthpiece Saamna that the Sena would not stop the screening of My Name is Khan, as threatened earlier. However, Sena leaders later said that Thackeray's editorial was sarcastic, and their threats against the film stand.

Thackeray wrote, "How do we awaken this Congress party? This is how you rule. So go ahead. Let Shah Rukh Khan show his film My Name Is Khan without security. Traitors with the blessings of the Congress go ahead, the Shiv Sena will not block you."

Earlier this week, cinema owners in Mumbai received letters and phonecalls from the Sena, warning them to remove posters publicizing the film. They were also told not to screen the film unless Shah Rukh apologises.

In London, a few days ago, Khan, at a presser, said that was not likely to happen. "What should I retract", he asked, "that I'm an Indian? I think what I said is true of any person from any nation from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, America, England. That's how I think we've all been brought up. You say 'ok, my country is nice, I'm very proud of it, I'm very proud to have been born there and I wish a lot of people come to my country and participate in the goodness of my country.' If that is wrong then I think I need to relook (sic) at what my children are studying right now. I need to even ask people who think the statement is wrong 'do they have an issue with the schools their children are going to?' Because that's what they are being taught also. It's not a stand or a statement against anyone. It's actually, sort of what I individually feel and normally when a film is releasing - and I won't comment on this on a larger scale, because, it's nice for a Hindi film hero who is thought of as an icon to say this, but it scares me to say anything, because our stakes are very high. I'm really sorry. I would like to apologize to Karan Johar (the director), I apologise to Kajol and I'm immensely sorry to all our business partners that because of what I say or what I believe in the film and the work is going to be affected."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin