English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Politics, agenda behind all this: SRK on Sena ante

Share This Post


"My daughter asked me over the phone if we'll have to leave India. Explaining this to the kids will be very difficult."

At a press conference on Saturday, Shah Rukh Khan elaborately discussed the controversy over Shiv Sena's reaction to his comments on Pakistani cricketers being excluded from the Indian Premier League's next season. (Watch: Pak players should have been bought, says SRK)

The Sena had threatened to block the release of SRK's new film My Name Is Khan, scheduled to release on February 12. (Read: Saddened by Sena's attack, Shah Rukh tells NDTV)

SRK made his position (on the issue) clear: "I have only said what every Indian should. I stand by what I have said. I think there's a bit of agenda and politics in all this."

"Often we film people find ourselves on the wrong side of politics. I don't think Sena went against my film because it has 'Khan' in the name. The good news is that I have just heard there will be no problems with my film," he added.

"I have a personal identity, but also a national identity - we are Indians, and my Indian identity makes me believe in certain things. I don't hold any one responsible and I stand by what I have said," he reiterated. (Read & Watch: I stand by what I have said, says SRK)

Earlier in the day, moments after he landed in Mumbai after a trip to New York and London to promote My Name is Khan, SRK hinted at an olive branch for the Shiv Sena. "I am what I am because of Mumbai.I want everyone in Mumbai to be happy. Why should we have this kind of stress? Let's be patient and talk it out," the actor said, amid huge security at the airport.

Shahrukh insisted that the entire controversy over his statements has been misunderstood. "If I say anything it will be misconstrued and further turned around, let me not even use big words. I am pro relationship with countries, which was misconstrued," he said,

The actor underlined his relationship with the Thackeray family, saying that he has interacted with them many times - and if they want to speak to him on this, he would be willing to meet them. "I will go meet Balasaheb if he calls me. He is a senior leader. I have gone in the past when he's called me. I enjoy his company," he said, with.

For its part, the Shiv Sena seems be in two minds over the issue. Uddhav Thackeray's reactions indicate that the Sena isn't sure about opposing the release of SRK's new film. "We have not spoken to Shah Rukh as yet. If he feels he has made a mistake he can come and place his views before Balasaheb. Shiv Sainiks will react based on their own anger," he said.

On Saturday, Sena chief Bal Thackeray wrote in the party's mouthpiece Saamna that the Sena would not stop the screening of My Name Is Khan, as threatened earlier.

However, Sena leaders later said that Thackeray's editorial was sarcastic, and their threats against the film stand. Mumbai's senior-most policemen have clarified that they will protect cinemas screening the film.

Theatre-owners have received phone calls and letters from the Sena, warning them not to show the movie.

They were also told not to screen the film unless Shah Rukh apologises. In London, a few days ago, Khan, at a presser, said that was not likely to happen.

The Shiv Sena has already burnt its fingers with the visit of Rahul Gandhi. Over 300 of its workers were detained, but Gandhi stole the show. Now it may want to avoid a repeat and be happy with a face saver.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin