English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Controversy left me numb says Shah Rukh Khan, refuses to apologise

Share This Post

"Numb" was the word actor Shah Rukh Khan used to describe his state of mind during the raging controversy over the release of his latest film My Name is Khan, following Shiv Sena protests here.

The 44-year-old superstar said that what hurt him the most was the fact that his "Indianness" was questioned again and again.

The actor said that he would have apologised to the Shiv Sena if it was the content of his film that they found offensive, but did not do so because he didn't understand the "logic" behind their anger.

"If they had a problem with my film, I would have apologised. I have done so earlier because I do not want to offend anyone with my films, my aim is to entertain. But this was about who I am as a person and my Indianness and I was hurt that I had to clarify it again and again," said Shahrukh in an interaction with Star News.

The Shiv Sena had launched an attack on the actor after he supported the inclusion of Pakistani players in the IPL and threatened to disrupt MNIK's release in Mumbai.

The actor was on a whirlwind world tour when the controversy escalated and lead to violence in Mumbai.

"I just wanted to rush back home....It was like living in a bad dream and I was constantly worried that someone might get hurt, because I want my film to make people happy, that is all I want," said Shah Rukh.

The film had a limited release in Mumbai and Gujarat last Friday, but opened to full houses across the rest of the country and received positive reviews.

The actor said that he has "great respect" for the Sena leaders who attacked him over his IPL comments, but feels that politics and patriotism should not have been mixed with entertainment.

"They are much older than me and I have great respect for them. But I did not understand why was the film dragged in between. I am one of those who believe that entertainment and politics should not be mixed.

"I did not understand why was my Indianness questioned. My father is a freedom fighter and I am proud of that," said the actor.

Shah Rukh who thanked his fans for supporting him and his film, said that he often unwittingly courts controversy.

"Controversy seems to have become my middle name. My wife has advised me to steer clear of any dialogues written by myself," he said.

It was wife Gauri Khan, who along with daughter Suhana went out to theatres to gauge the public's reaction on the film's release day, that kept the actor posted on all the developments.

"I was in constant touch with Guari and she told me that my fans were coming out to watch the film and were liking it. I have to thank my fans for it all," said the actor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin