English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I would have preferred a soccer career, says Shah Rukh

Share This Post

Shah Rukh Khan is the best known mega Indian film star. But the other day he said he would have preferred a sporting career to one in films.

He was speaking at the finale of the Asia West Pacific Regional physiotherapy conference organised by the Dr Ali Irani-headed Indian Association of Physiotherapy. Dr Ali was the first physio to travel with an Indian sporting team. He was Indian cricket team physio from 1987 to 1997.

Shah Rukh Khan vibed well with the 10, 50 physiotherapists and delegates from 23 countries at the valedictory. He referred to the injuries he has faced all his life, first in sport and then thanks to the stunts he does himself by choice. Said Shah Rukh, "Thanks to my injuries I know every part of my body, the muscles, the tendons.

My body has pieces of metal in it. I have undergone spinal surgery and I am going for a shoulder surgery in some ten days.''

Shah Rukh said he was so injury prone that his interaction with physios began from the age of 15. "I was playing soccer at Delhi's Ambedkar Stadium and had a lower back problem. An old gentleman, Dr Abbott, treated me. I think he was orthopaedics guy. I don't think there were many physios then. That was the end of my professional sporting career. I would have preferred it to the one in showbiz. Now my son is into athletics and soccer and I think he will need the back-up of physiotherapy. ''

Continuing in a serious vein, Shah Rukh exhorted the physios to become affordable to all sections of the society. He said, "In India we are used to medicine of hakims and vaids. Invasive therapy is not the order of the day. Physiotherapy for most is means massage. I love massage though,'' he said smiling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin