English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Monday, November 10, 2008

‘You retire when you don’t get work’: Shah Rukh

Share This Post

King Khan, who turned 43 recently, says there’s no stopping yet He talks about his dreams, plans and family…

Rukh Khan who celebrated his birthday last week. And when he switches on the charm offensive you can’t but agree.

Funny, down to earth and unflappable — Shah Rukh has the right mix of star power and vulnerability. He is in his prime now and is looking forward to his upcoming releases, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Billo Barber with infectious enthusiasm.

“A week ago, I got a call from the office of Yash Raj Films saying that they were keen to start the promos of Rab Ne…, but were holding on to it because they wanted it to be a birthday gift for me,” says the actor. “I was touched, because I thought it was a very sweet gesture.” But he does not believe in starry birthday bashes.

“We’re just normal human beings,” he says. “We eat the same food. We get up and go to work as other people do. Of course, my work is a bit weird as at 43, I wear make-up.” And he thinks he has done pretty well and does not seek more gifts from providence. “There is nothing more I want to ask for.

When I met Richard Gere, I asked him how his kids were and he told me they are healthy. I was surprised because generally we say they are good and mischievous but he told me that if you ever ask for anything for someone, ask for health. So when I pray on my birthday, I just ask for the good health of my family and everyone else. My family prays for me and so I don’t need to ask for anything for myself.”

Ruminating on the past is not an SRK trait and he has no problems in confessing that. “I’ve always been on the rise,” he says. “And the ride has been great. When I retire, I will sit back and ponder over what was good and what was bad. I am too busy working now to think about all this.” Do actors ever retire?

“In the entertainment business, you retire when you don’t get work,” he says stoically. “You don’t decide when you don’t want to work. That’s a reality that every star faces one day.” But then there is Amitabh Bachchan who has broken all these rules. “He is worldclass,” says Shah Rukh. “I think he is the only human being on earth who can be like this. He is an amazing exception.” Of course, retirement is the last thing on Shah Rukh’s mind now. He is looking forward the release of ‘Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi’.

“It is very close to our hearts because Adi has made a film a long time after Mohabbatein,” he says. “It’s a funny, entertaining film. It has the Yash Raj style. The story is of a common man you will identify with. This is a total antithesis of the Raj and Rahul characters I have done before.

My wife and kids loved it too.” Shah Rukh does not think it’s odd to work with actresses who are less than half his age. “If you want to pair heroines opposite me in song and dance movies, they will certainly be much younger than me,” he quips.

And they are taller too. “Yes,” he says, laughing. “When I was shooting for a song with Deepika and the other girls for Billoo Barber, Priyadarshan asked me if he should tell Deepika to take her shoes off as she was looking too tall. I told him she’s already barefoot!” Though Shah Rukh is considered a youth icon of today, he does have some reservations about modern youth. “Television and Internet exposes them to a lot of things that we never even knew,” he says. “Sadly, in the process, the youth have lost the power of imagination and it has also curbed their creativity.”

The superstar says he does not sign films for money. “What’s important for me is telling a story,” he says. He also dismisses rumours that he will leave Mumbai in some years. “I will always be here because this is home now,” he adds. “I will work here, live here and will die here in Mumbai!” Will son Aryan emerge as a rival 10 years down the line? “No, I don’t think so,” laughs Shah Rukh.

“Like other youngsters, he can only try. I don’t even know if he wants to be an actor.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin