English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Monday, October 06, 2008

"Shah Rukh Khan Boulevard"

Share This Post



He is not a brand ambassador or celebrity endorser. Shah Rukh Khan is seriously involved financially and creatively in the design and development of Shah Rukh Khan Boulevard in Ras Al Khaimah, one of the UAE’s seven emirates.

We had reported this a month ago. And today (October 5), at a press conference at the Intercontinental Hotel, Dubai Festival City, the star confirmed that he is venturing into real estate development in collaboration with UAE-based TSA Group.

Looking dapper and very business-like in a dark suit, Shah Rukh spoke passionately about the lifestyle he wants to offer through this beachfront project located on Dana Island in Ras Al Khaimah. He thanked the Ras Al Khaimah government and master developer Rakeen for supporting and facilitating his first project.

“When I was growing up, my parents gave me love and a good education. But we never owned a house. That is why I have a fetish for living spaces. My house is important to me because it makes me feel whole and be in touch with myself. And I want to be able to give this feeling to all those who buy homes in my project,” he said.

“Like my films, this project will have romance and creativity. But my foremost objective is to provide a space that offers an affordable, safe, healthy and happy lifestyle for families,” he added.

With his usual wit and charm, SRK answered a host of questions including the kind of bathtubs he plans to provide. “I will come free with the bathtubs. I promise you I will be in them every Saturday morning, naked,” he quipped.

To a question regarding delayed projects and ill-treatment of construction workers, he firmly replied, “I will never associate myself with anything that hurts anybody. I have had many offers from other companies but I chose this one because I know they will deliver on their promises.”

Shah Rukh said that he invited celebrity architect Tony Ashai to see his home, Mannat, before they began working on the design. “My home is not ostentatious. My wife and I want it to be a space that allows us to develop the personality of our family. But the homes we design will not be replicas of Mannat. We want to provide a space to people where they can realise their own mannats,” he said.

And yes, SRK would like to have a home himself on the boulevard and also get his star friends to be in the neighbourhood.

Details of the project:

SRK Boulevard is an 8 billion dirham project spread over 3 million square feet on Dana Island, Ras Al Khaimah, scheduled for completion in 2012.

The resort style beachfront project has been designed by Los Angeles-based celebrity designer Tony Ashai with inputs from Shah Rukh.

A glass gateway opens onto the boulevard lined on the left with two-and-a-half-storey houses, dotted with stores, and on the right with 12-storey buildings. This leads to a piazza and boardwalk on the beach. The plan includes high rises with studio, one and two bedroom apartments, townhouses, two SRK signature towers (with one apartment per floor, each with its own lift), shopping arcades, fitness and sports facilities, beachside cafes and marine activities.

In the evenings, the piazza will be transformed into a sit-in movie theatre with a large screen and Bluetooth-enabled head phones for hire.

Piers leading to an underwater disco and lounge, connected by an underwater tunnel, are among the ‘wild and fantastic plans’ for the boulevard, still in the design stage.

“Shah Rukh is the most involved and creative client I have ever worked with and this project reflects his creativity and energy,” said Ashai. The architect used the word ‘unbelievable’ at least a dozen times to describe the project.

TSA is showcasing the project at stand ZG 20 at Cityscape Dubai from October 6 to 9. Prices will be announced later, but buyers can make bookings with a refundable ‘expression of interest’ payment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin