English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Friday, November 02, 2007

Shahrukh Khan As He Turns 42 Today!

Share This Post

You're turning a year older. What's your plan for the day?
I don't plan much on my birthdays. We are quite an underplayed family. We like to stay at home. We like calling close friends over and then head out to a restaurant. I don't like going out that often. But on my birthday, I'm forced to go out. What I look forward to, are presents from my friends. But my friends can be very cheap; sometimes they don't give me good presents. However, most of the time Karan (Johar) and Adi (Aditya Chopra) get good presents for me. I hope they bring some nice electronic gifts.

What gifts did you get last year?
Karan got me a computer. A friend of mine gave me a Louis Vuitton bag. Let me tell you, I have a fetish for bags, especially handbags. Adi gave me camera. I got some really nice pens - Amitji (Amitabh Bachchan) had given me a beautiful pen. He has asked me to use it on Kaun Banega Crorepati. I will use it when I film for it next year.

Do you write with those pens?
I write a bit but not with those pens, as they are nice and expensive ink pens. I like keeping good pens and whenever I need to make notes, I use them.

Do you practise any rituals on your birthday?
I do pray to my parents for their goodness and their blessings. I think of my parents pictures and then go on my rooftop to say a little prayer. I believe that they are these two stars in the sky. I thank them for having given birth to me. I pray for my family - my sister, my wife, my children and my friends.

How were your birthdays when you were a kid?
Now that you ask, I don't remember throwing any birthday parties. We were not rich enough to waste money on parties. But I remember my father giving me some of his old things. I think he couldn't afford to buy me new things. On my 12th birthday, he gave me his Olivetti typewriter. I was too young to learn typing, but I used it very carefully. On another birthday, he gave me his Grundig gramophone, which I could never run.

Have you preserved those gifts?
I wish I had. When I was moving out of Delhi, I had to leave in a hurry. The only thing that I could bring back with me is a Videocon TV that my mother gave me. I have my TV somewhere. Every once in a while, I think: Where is that typewriter and where is that gramophone? Every few months, I feel that I should go back and find them.

What are the craziest gifts you have received so far?
Last year on my birthday, I went to a party hosted by my friends. They gave me 41 gifts. There were a few crazy ones, too -- Badshah lal mirchi powder, and strange stuffed toys, etc.

What does your wife give you?

My wife is very cheap. She doesn't give me anything. She says that she has given me the kids.

What about your kids, Suhana and Aryan?

My daughter is very sweet. She picks up tid-bits from the house and wraps them up neatly. She writes a beautiful card, saying ;˜I love you papa. Happy birthday! She will paint something that I always put up in my office. My son doesn't gift me anything. He just comes up and says;˜Happy birthday, papa.My son forgets. I sympathise with the girls who complain that their boyfriends don't get them any gifts. I wonder what it will be like on my son's wedding anniversary.

Do you feel that you are 42?

Physically, mentally and emotionally, I feel I'm still 26 years old - that's when I had come to Mumbai. I still feel I have to work hard. I feel the same enjoyment that I did when I gave my first shot.

Do you get annoyed when people call you uncle?
Actually, my kids friends call me Shah Rukh Khan. Not too many people call me uncle but they will soon,I'm sure. Sometimes I'm taken aback when the kids call me by my name during our soccer sessions.

They usually say,Shah Rukh can you pass the ball. We need to practise. I wish they would call me uncle. My daughter feels awkward when her friends call me SRK.

SRK's wishlist

- I want to make 10 beautiful films. I have no idea what they are going to be like
- I would like my son and daughter to beat me at all sports
- I will like them to be more educated than I am. I want them to have more knowledge than I do
- Make a beautiful film studio. I'm yet to acquire land for it
- Make a trust and a hospital
- Make public utilities and amenities for women all around the country

These are just good thoughts. I hope they come true.

Mumbai Mirror

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin