English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Shah Rukh Khan The Box Office King

Share This Post

Three weeks after Chak De India's release, it has become clear that its scored a goal at the box office and become a phenomenon.

But with no leading lady, no love angle, no song and dance an unusually restrained, understated Shahrukh Khan, none of the tried and tested box office elements its not difficult to imagine the nervousness of the filmmakers of Chak De before its box office release.

"You get a few films where the producers and directors have guts to say let's take Shahrukh Khan and let's not make it a in-your-face commercial film and make him do what he does.

"I remember the last night when we saw the film. It was releasing the next morning. Adi and me sitting and Shimit, it's about 1.30 in the night.

"We were just seeing the film. Adi looked at me and he said, 'What do you think the film will do? My son and my daughter said they have loved the film. We will still worry, it has no standard to compare it with," said Shahrukh Khan, actor.

It's a film that makes a strong comment on hockey and women's sports. So does he think that this film will change perceptions about hockey and bring our neglected national game at par with cricket?

"I think we should take a cue from cricket and hopefully what cricket has done shows the way to not just what to do for hockey, for every sports.

"Sports are good. So I hope that but whether I think it will happen or not I don't know whether the film will do well or not so, let alone whether hockey will change or not. But, I am just glad that I could comment about the sport that I love," said Shahrukh.

Identity issues

Not only is Shahrukh's role in the film very different from the ones he's used to doing, it also engages with the complex issue of Muslims' indianness in the country.

"I am a complete promoter of the fact that if you have to ask am I a Muslim in a Hindu country, then I am not secular enough.

"I never asked myself that because I was never built like that. I think I am Indian. I am Indian. I mean, the question of being Muslim, from which part of the country, has never mattered to me.

"It has never been brought to my notice and I think the religion of our country is Indianness," said Shahrukh Khan.

It's obviously been a win-win situation.

It's a role that's probably lent more gravitas to superstar Sharukh's iconic status and repertoire of work.

And its worked the other way round also with his presence providing the initial impetus and draw to a film which is off the beaten track.


Swati Maheshwari, NDTV

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin