English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Saturday, August 25, 2007

An Interview With King Khan

Share This Post

The King is back. Shah Rukh Khan, sporting a new look in his latest film, "Chak De India," speaks with INDIA New England about the film, life, and "Kaun Banega Crorepati."

Colas are yet again under scrutiny; so why do you still endorse Pepsi?

Pepsi has said in the past that they are ready for any kind of testing as and when required. I like the product, and I think that anything in moderation does not harm anyone. I used to drink a lot of Pepsi. I even have a Pepsi dispenser at home but I have reduced my consumption in the last few years.

What was your most emotional moment on "Kaun Banega Crorepati"?

There was this man who lost after the first five questions, but he was brilliant in the dummy run. He was not well versed with television or films, else he would have been fantastic. After he lost, his wife kept telling me that he is an intelligent man. “Woh bahut achche hai (he's very smart)," she kept saying. I literally cried. I felt very sad because he indeed was very smart.

What made you decide to do "Chak De India"?

There were a lot of reasons. First is, of course, the director (Shimit Amin). I have known him for years and he is a very simple, hardworking and talented. He has worked with me in the film “Ashoka.” He’s a very sweet, unassuming kind of a guy and to choose a film which is on sports and which is normally neglected say perhaps apart from “Lagaan,” “Hip Hip Hurray” and “Iqbal” now [is great]. We haven’t really made sports films and it’s something that I thought I should be doing when I was younger, but I didn’t get a chance. So, when I am old and grey and over the hill, I am glad someone like Shimit thought that I could sort of fit in a sports film.

What was it like working with a whole lot of newcomers?

Fantastic! Earlier, I thought that working with newcomers would be a bit of a hassle because they would not know their lines, you become a little patronizing, you become a little kind at times, a little agitated and irritated at times because things are not going the way you think they are going. But I think the whole production and the whole team had worked very hard with them. Not to take any credit away from these girls, I think they are very hardworking and wonderful; they put their heart and soul into the film. They have practiced and learned hockey, they have learned the lines, they know the scenes. They knew everything and at the end of it all, after having worked for 18 years as an actor, I got to learn a lot, because there is a bit of rawness when newcomers come and face the camera. After working for so many years, you tend to become a little mechanized.

We know you are a very sporty person. Have you taken any special training for the film? Did you play hockey in school?

Yes, I used to play a lot of field hockey in my school days, I was good at it. But when I went and played for the film, I sucked. I was really awful; I have no stamina left. I think the technique of hockey has changed. Astroturf itself is very tiring. As shameful as it is to say, but I thought I would be able to beat the girls, but they kicked my butt.

Your look in the film is very different and most talked about, can you tell us a bit about it?

I have noticed this that when directors tend to write characters like themselves — like Shimit has a beard so he wanted me to have a beard. I have reached a stage in my career where people are not happy with letting me look the way I look. They cast me and they say, ‘You know what, we don’t want Shah Rukh Khan in the film.’ So they all try to change me, and I think the producer, director and the writer thought that may be with a beard and shorter hair I would look different!

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the words “Chak De India”?

“Chak De” strangely to me, is a line from “Dilwale [dulhaniya Le Jayenge].” I remember we used to say “Chak De Phatte” in “Dilwale...” so I don’t know, but I get reminded of that. I hope “Chak De India” becomes like a sporting thing whenever Sachin is playing or whenever Dhanraj Pillai is going with the ball — somebody screams “Chak De India” which means score a goal or hit a sixer or get Sania Mirza to win the Wimbledon.

Viralbhayani, IndiaNewEngland

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin