English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I am the superstar in the country: Shah Rukh Khan

Share This Post

His portrayal of a Muslim hockey player out to prove his Indianness in "Chak De India" has earned him kudos, but superstar Shah Rukh Khan says he does not identify with the main protagonist in the film.

"No, not at all. I am Shah Rukh Khan. I am a superstar in the country. People have loved me so much," he said in an interview to a private TV news channel.

"I am a complete promoter of the fact that if you have to ask am I a Muslim in a Hindu country, then I am not secular enough. I never asked myself that because I was never built like that. I think I am Indian," Khan said.

The question of being Muslim, from which part of the country, has never mattered to him, King Khan said. "I think the religion of our country is Indianness," he said.

Khan said he has never been ostracised on account of being a Muslim as the religion is not different to this country.

"And I do not any which way think like what happened to Kabir (his role in 'Chak De India') will happen to me. I am an actor, so I just acted it out," he said.

Kabir Khan in 'Chak De India' is a member of the Indian hockey team that loses to Pakistan in the World Cup. He is accused of throwing the match and is ostracised on account of being a Muslim.

Asked about the success of the film, Khan said he sometimes felt stardom was coming in the way of him being able to perform the way he would like to.

Source: EconomicTimes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin