English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Chak De India has no romance and no villain: SRK

Share This Post

More than 2,000 movie buffs attended the world premiere of Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Chak de India, a film on women's hockey in India, at the famous Somerset House. Describing it as a new experience, Khan told the packed gathering at the open air theatre ....

that it was a different kind of movie, "a little irregular film".

"It has a noble thought. It is important to talk about team spirit, women and their role in the world," he told the cheering crowd.

The premiere was part of the film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House and one of the glittering highlights of 'India Now', a three-month season celebrating London's growing relationship with India and exploration of India's culture and contribution to London life.

Produced by Aditya Chopra and directed by Shimit Amin, Chak de India is the comeback story of an ageing hockey player (Khan). The two-and-a-half-hour-long film, which kept the audience spell bound, has Khan starring as a coach, fighting his personal demons as he takes a motley group of girls to the pinnacle of the world hockey.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone, who was present on the podium with Khan, said "we have many wonderful events taking place across London throughout the three months duration of 'India Now' and the world premiere of Chak de India is undoubtedly one of the biggest and most exciting.

"It is a great honour for London to host this launch event for a film, which, like so many Bollywood blockbusters, touches the hearts and minds of millions across the world."

Asked whether he has any advice to Indian coaches, be it hockey or any other game, on how to win, Khan said "I am only an actor. What advice I can give. It is the job of the coaches to prepare the teams and win matches."

About Chak de India, he said "this is a film about sports. There had been films on sports like Lagaan and others. I always wanted to do a film on sports, particularly on field and women hockey, much neglected in cinema."

"I play the coach. I have 16 girls around me playing hockey. It has no songs but only sporting capabilities. The film has no romance and no villain."

Earlier in the day, the actor joined Sunil Gavaskar in the commentator box at The Oval during India's third and final Test against England, where he said "I occasionally watch Rahul and Sachin and I have grown up watching Sunny Saab."

Khan was buoyant when asked about his sporting lineage. "My father used to play hockey. I too enjoyed playing hockey. I used to carry my hockey stick on my back when I went to school. I used to try and play all sports. I kept running behind the ball all the time but never used to catch it."

He said Chak de India is not country-specific. "It can be Chak de London, Chak de Pakistan or Chak de Bangladesh."

Khan said the audience in UK has always been very kind to him. "I am humbled by the reception I get here."

"Winning or losing is not all that important. What is important is participation in sports. This film teaches sportsmen and women to be positive and aggressive," he said.

Replying to a question, Khan said he spent a month in Australia playing with National Level women hockey players.

Source: KhaleejTimes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin